Friday, September 12, 2008

9/12

So tired… must write about first day of teaching…. Anyway, today after four hours of language class we had to give 15 minute English presentations to 4 classes. I was pretty nervous, having never really taught anything to a class or anything, but it went relatively smoothly. I did GA music as I mentioned previously, and the kids enjoyed it. I am officially Mr. Drew. After class we had English club (because our day just wasn’t long enough) and that went even better than my presentation. A friend and I did America slang so now instead of being greeted by lines of kids screaming “hello” and trying to shake our hands, they hopefully learned that “What’s up?” will suffice. I’m really exhausted though, and if you are thinking “don’t worry Drew, tomorrow is Saturday,” I must politely scoff. I have to wake up at 6:45 to get ready to go a school that is even farther away for Kazakh language class at 8. Luckily we get off at 11 and a ton of us trainees are going into the city (Almaty) tomorrow to go see the philharmonic orchestra perform some Debussy. I don’t really know how the logistics will work, but worst case scenario we just get into the city and hang out all afternoon. Then Sunday some friends are coming into my city again which will be a lot of fun. I found out we actually get to sorta recommend a couple of people we would like to be placed within an hour of when we get to site. This makes going off on my own a lot less scary. I can’t believe that in less than two months I will be sworn in (hopefully) and actually teaching in an even smaller town.
Unfortunately, it will only be getting busier until then. Oh, someone in the PC brought us Newsweek magazines so I have been devouring them lately. I read a long article on McCain’s running mate and some other interesting articles make me feel slightly less amputated from current events. Can anyone tell me who UGA is playing tomorrow? I am going to try to get online Sunday morning at like 10AM which will be midnight GA time so if anyone wants to be on facebook chat at midnight we could hopefully negotiate some live communication. Just throwing it out there for the Feelings mostly. Love you all.
Yours Drewly.

3 comments:

Ladystone said...

Friday morning here in South Carolina. A gray day, but the sun should shine later. UGA is playing Carolina here in Columbia tomorrow. Being that y'all are ranked # 2 and USC is still not a great team (understatement!), the score will probably favor UGA! My niece, Melissa, is a freshman at UGA and she and 4 friends are coming home to go to the game. I think she is enjoying UGA as much as you did.
It's great reading your blog. Hope Mike's leg is OK and just sprained.
Enjoy being with your friends.... know that is the bright spot in your week.
Take care and know that we are thinking of you!
Love
Judy

Cindy Nore said...

Hey Drew - sorry Kjel and I have been out of touch for a bit! I finally got a chance to read your posts tonight. Sounds like you are definitely facing some challenges there - Kjel and his first wife went on several trips to Europe, and Kjel said around day 14 they were both ready to get home, eat a Big Mac, watch some goofy American sitcom,and speak English!

We are really proud that you have taken such risks and are attempting to navigate the various challenges you are encountering. It sounds like quite a bit of stress - hang in there as best you can, and know that we are thinking of you every day!

I can't believe you guys work 6 days a week there - not much of a weekend break. I hope you enjoy Debussy tomorrow - one of my favorite piano pieces is by him, though the name escapes me now. I hope you enjoy your time with friends, and hopefully you will have some placed nearby you when you are finally assigned to your more permanent "home."

I have really enjoyed reading your posts and also caught up with you a bit on facebook, so thanks for taking the time to keep us posted on how you are doing. KK is having her going away party tonight and apparently flies out to Spain on Monday, so she will at least be on your continent : )

Take good care of yourself, and I'm glad you have a nice host mom that can give you hugs! We are sending mental hugs from here too -lots of love, Cindy and Kjel

Kathryn in Andalucia said...

Hi Pookie,

I hope little kitty is okay! Give him lots of lovin. So cool that you're going to get to request that some friends are placed nearby... I really hope that pans out nicely for you. I know your classes will be great, because you are great - I wish I had had a teacher like Mr. Drew when I was a kid...

Love you so much!
KK